Whether you’ve been working as a manager in a pub, you’re an aspiring chef or you’re considering a complete career change – choosing to run a pub can provide the challenge, freedom and reward that you’ve been missing in your current job. When you become a Hall & Woodhouse Business Partner, you can rest assured that you’ll be receiving the best support available. With a wealth of experience, our Business Development Partners offer outstanding levels of support and are all highly experienced in their fields. Your Business Development Partner is on hand to assist with guidance and they’re all extremely knowledgeable about pubs.

Before you apply to run a pub, there are some things you’ll want to consider:


In addition to the rent that’s payable, you’ll need to budget for a deposit, staff wages, the loan of fixtures and fittings, your first beer and food order, plus the legal fees and qualification costs. You may also need to buy uniforms for staff, plates, cutlery, glassware and catering equipment.

Freehold, Leasehold or a Tenancy Agreement

Next up, you’ll need to decide whether you want to buy a pub, lease a pub or become a tenant. With a tenancy option, you won’t need a huge amount of investment, the maintenance of the building is shared and you’ll generally gain access to a support team – a vital resource for any new publicans. Our Business Partners are all tenants and the vast majority have been with us for a number of years.

If you take a tenancy with Hall & Woodhouse,  you’ll purchase all your drinks from the brewery. You will have exclusive access to our popular ales and lagers, in addition to being able to utilise existing set ups with suppliers of other lagers, spirits, wines and soft drinks. When it comes to food and style of service, you have complete freedom in your choice of suppliers. We can of course provide recommendations and advice where needed.

Qualifications and Certifications

In addition to needing a personal license, we’ll provide training to give you the best possible start and set you on your road to being a happy and successful publican. There’s certain legal requirements that you’ll need to fulfil too, like health and safety certifications. You’ll also need the appropriate insurance; your Business Development Partner will be on hand to assist you in all of these areas.

Building your Team

You’ll need to find a great team to help you run your great pub. Hall & Woodhouse help our Business Partners with advice on recruitment if you need it. Building a reliable team that you trust will not only help your business run smoothly, it’ll also mean you enjoy being a publican a lot more and can focus your time and efforts where they’re best spent.

Opening Stock

The last major task before opening your doors will be to build your menu and find suppliers, before ordering the food and drinks stock that you’ll need for the weeks and months ahead. Again, we can help you with this in terms of quantities, and food suppliers, if you’d like advice.

Once you’re open and up and running, your Business Development Partner and the Support Team will continue to be on hand. We’re as keen as you are for your pub to be a success. We’ll be able to discuss options with you around taking on other pubs, running events and helping you with your marketing. You’ll have access to the team that can advise you on a number of topics including social media, website development and how to maximise your profit margins.

If you’re ready to start your search and find your own pub, click below to see Hall & Woodhouse current vacancies. If there aren’t any that match your requirements at present, you can sign up to receive alerts detailing future vacancies.

View vacancies

Back to News