Different Ways to Run Your Own Pub:

1. Tenancy

This is the agreement we proudly offer at Hall & Woodhouse Business Partnerships. This is where a pub is rented from a brewery or pub company for a shorter period (2-5 years) – we offer contracts for 3 and 5 years. 

This includes support and and training, with drinks purchased from us including our award-winning Badger Beer. Find out about the support we provided our Business Partners during the Covid pandemic.

2. Freehold

A freehold pub means you buy the pub outright, but without any training or support from a brewery or pub company.  You are responsible for all maintenance, and prices are known to be high for purchasing a freehold pub.

3. Leasehold

You have full responsibility for the maintenance of the property.

What else you need to know:

Start-up Costs

Becoming a Business Partner with Hall & Woodhouse is a low-cost way to set up your own business but it does need some investment from you. As well as a returnable deposit of £7,500, you will also need to buy stock, glassware, crockery and cutlery. On top of this you will need to have some working capital to help you run your business.

You will also need to purchase the pub’s fixtures and fittings from the previous operator. Read more here on this and the support we offer.


In return for the use of our pub for your business we will charge you rent. This is an amount set for the term of the agreement and is agreed before you take on the pub. We will show you exactly how we have calculated the rent for your pub.


Personal Licence

You will need to nominate a person to be the Designated Premises Supervisor at the pub. This person will need to have successfully completed the Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders to Obtain a Personal Licence (APLH).


Hall & Woodhouse arrange buildings insurance for each of their pubs to provide cover against damage by certain insured risks. All other insurance will need to be purchased, read full info on this in our Hello & Welcome pack.

Purchasing stock can be a large task when running a pub, but as our Business Partner you purchase all beers, ciders, wines, spirits and soft drinks through us – including our award-winning Badger Beer (which is only available in cask format in Hall & Woodhouse pubs). This is sometimes referred to as the ‘tie’

Developing Your Business & Our Support

Read more below on the support we offer our Business Partners.

Business Support

Running a pub can be a stressful task without the correct support. At Hall & Woodhouse we are committed to providing a high level of support and training and we are proud to assign you a Business Development Partner. They will be your personal business consultant and your main point of contact for all support while renting a pub and partnering with us. They are here to advise you on everything from pub investments to the latest trend analysis.

Property: Maintenance Support

As well as business support, we also offer Property Support. Hall & Woodhouse operate a 24-hour, 7 day a week Maintenance Help Desk through which all maintenance issues are logged.

Marketing Support

If you are unsure of what sort of marketing to do for your pub our marketing team is always available to help you grow your pub business. 

Your Business Development Partner will work with you to decide how best to spend your marketing budget, and the marketing team can advise and support you with this.

As well as our marketing support, we also have a support hub website for all relevant information and support for your pub and your team.