Do I need to have experience of running a pub?

No. We are committed to recruiting Business Partners who have the potential to make a great success of the pubs that they operate. If you have the drive and ambition to run a successful business, we would love to speak to you – irrespective of your working background and experience.

Do I need to have any qualifications?

Yes. You will need to nominate a person to be the Designated Premises Supervisor at the pub. This person will need to have successfully completed the Award for Personal Licence Holders course and have been issued with a Personal Licence by their local authority. This person will ideally be Hall & Woodhouse’s Business Partner at the pub. If you do not have this qualification then we can guide you to where you can complete the course. You will also need to complete the online BII Pre-Entry Awareness Training Course (PEAT). This is an e-learning package that identifies the main issues which need to be considered and investigated before signing a pub tenancy or lease agreement. If you are looking to take on a pub lease or tenancy in England or Wales then taking PEAT will give you the necessary knowledge to evaluate the agreement which you are seeking to enter.

PEAT is designed to ensure that you fully understand the implications of the pub tenancy or lease which you are considering signing. Having recently undergone a redevelopment the content has significantly expanded to become far more comprehensive and covers topics in further detail than its previous version.
PEAT will provide the learner with all the information they require in order for them to make a reasonable judgement and understand the complexities of the agreement that they are signing up to.


The learning will now cover 13 modules which include:
• The Pub Industry
• The Business Plan
• The Pub Premises
• Purchasing Obligations
• Licensing and Compliance
• Rent Assessment, Review and Renewals
• Finances
• Business Support
• How to leave your pub
• Complaints and Dispute Resolution
• Good Advice
• The Agreement
• Legal Status of the UK Pub Industry Framework Code


As the content and information has significantly increased the average duration of completing the learning has also increased to between 4 and 5 hours.
The cost of PEAT is £75 + VAT. For further information and to purchase PEAT visit

If you have any questions about PEAT you can speak to their Customer Support Department directly on 01276 684449

How much money will I need to invest in the business?

The required capital will vary on a pub-by-pub basis but will consist of the following elements:
• Purchase of fixtures & fittings from the outgoing Business Partner.
• Purchase of the stock, glassware and loose catering effects from the outgoing Business Partner.
• Deposit – you will need to lodge a £7,500 deposit with Hall & Woodhouse for the duration of your Business Partnership Agreement. You will earn interest on this deposit and it will be returned to you at the end of your time as a Hall & Woodhouse Business Partner.
• Working capital – you will need an amount of money to support your cash flow during your first few weeks at your new pub.
• We will require you to complete our BII-approved Cellar Training Course and we also expect you to complete the BII Award in Introductory Licensed Retail Operators. We also host a two-day welcome to the company which includes dinner with Mark Woodhouse, our Chairman. These courses cost a total of £1,000 plus VAT, but once you complete them we will send you two complimentary 9 gallon casks of Badger Best, worth in excess of £140.

What if I do not have the money required?

Each pub vacancy will have a minimum investment figure quoted as a guide to the funds you will require. If you need additional money for your investment we can offer brewery loans as long as you have at least £20,000 of your own money to invest.

How long will the recruitment process take?

From receipt of your completed application to being offered a pub will normally take 2-3 months; it is then typically a further month until you take over the business. These time scales will vary depending on us being able to match you to a suitable pub and how long it takes you to complete the recruitment process. We will always keep you up to date with your progress and advise you of the key milestones through the process.

How long will my agreement be for?

The agreement is usually 3 years in duration and is protected under the 1954 Landlord & Tenant Act. This means that if you would like to extend your stay at the pub you have the right to renew your agreement at the end of each 3-year period.

How will the rent I pay be calculated?

Your initial rent will be based on the fair maintainable trade of the pub. This is the level of turnover that we agree the pub is capable of achieving on an annual basis. Using industry standards we will be able to forecast the level of profit the pub will generate and the level of rent. We will show you how we have calculated your rent during the recruitment process.

When you come to renew your agreement at the end of the third year there is no rent review. You rent will only ever change on an annual basis by CPI.

Do I have to buy my food from you?

No. You are free to decide on the menu at your pub and from where you source your ingredients.
However, we can help you with your menu development and design, as well as kitchen best practice and purchasing if you require it.

Will I have to maintain the property?

You will be jointly responsible with Hall & Woodhouse for the maintenance of the property.
Broadly speaking, Hall & Woodhouse will be responsible for all major and structural repairs whilst you will have responsibility for minor repairs. You will be provided with a schedule of maintenance responsibility as a part of your Business Partnership Agreement.

Cookies help make our website better for you. If you're ok with this, carry on. If you'd like more information or you would like to know how to disable them, please read our cookie policy.